Friday, March 14, 2008

Trading Spaces : Cubicle Edition



I've been in the same cubicle at work for the past 5 years.  Over this time I've had several great cubemates in adjacent spaces. - Matt, John, Kathy, Tony, Rob, Bryan - Here's a shout-out to all of you !

With the recent departure of a good colleague and mentor, I've decided to move to one of the most prized assets a cube can have -- a view to the outside by a window.

I could have taken this spot before, it had been vacant - but my colleagues have always made it impossible to have more than a medium-volume shout away.  "Hey Rob", "Hey Kath" and the infamous chair push-back to grab Bryan's attention have been a way of life for 5 years. - So why now ?

It certainly isn't because I'm tired of my good friends, yet - they play an important factor.   I know people claim to have attention deficit disorder (ADD), but I'm as close to clinical as I think you'll find.  In school, I had to lock myself in a room and schedule when I could go for food/drink/bio-breaks in order to force myself to concentrate.  I've unplugged my router if I need to write a paper so that I can go and surf in-between.  Lately my mind has been extraordinarily distracted by all the 'fun' around me. - It's a great environment we have at my work and to not always be part of the discussion - it's hard for me to stay focused.

So here I sit "isolated" all of 10 feet away from my colleagues.  I hope they won't forget me when it comes time for lunch - I'm always happy to drive,, or when Rob gets a new toy to show off - I'm aways interested !.  ...lastly I hope I'm able to deliver on a few things my kind manager has asked of me - a bit sooner than I would have otherwise.

But ya know what - a window to the dark world outside at 9:55pm on a Friday isn't much different than a cubicle wall.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: