Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The expert repeater

Went to a meeting tonight for a non-profit group for which Kristen & I are members. We had a very good, kind speaker who is a professional business coach. These are the folks that help you navigate the waters of career progression and help you try to address areas which you need to improve.

One thing brought my appreciation and level of interest & respect to a quick halt. After covering a list of the top 10 behaviors which inhibit career advancement, I noticed a small little footnote eluding to the fact that all 10 behaviors were excerpts from a popular business book.

Don't get me wrong - I have a stack of books - from Frekonomics, to the World is Flat, the Innovators Dilemma, Blink* and most recently "Microtrends" -- but,, I don't intend to read any of these books - make them the basis of my expert business consulting/coaching and go about selling my new found knowledge.

To keep my attention - try to present original thought, feel free to cite your agreement or contrast of opinions - but this form of verbal plagiarism just isn't the type of coaching I seek.

1 comment:

Alexis Robin said...

Being a Business Coach, I would have to day hiring a professional life or business coach is a very valuable tool. I see the success and empowerment first hand that people receive from my work.

Alexis